[DCRM-L] Advice re late edition of engravings

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Wed Mar 27 15:58:03 MDT 2013

Funny how fixing a typo always uncovers three or four other things, and suddenly it's closing time.

This record was created several years ago by a grant-funded cataloger as part of a project called "Cripes! Let's at least get SOME metadata associated these scanned images" -- well, maybe that wasn't the exact title of the grant, but that was the gist of it.

Off the top of my head, the imprint information for a hypothetical DCRM(G) record might read as follows, with mandatory notes to justify the bracketed information:
260  $a [Antwerp?] : $b [Publisher not identified], $c [between 1590 and 1600?] $g ([printed late 18th or early 19th century])

    Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/> |  collation.folger.edu<http://collation.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:16 PM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Advice re late edition of engravings

Sorry to have slandered DFo's cataloger (anyone we know?). I'm working on the fly here with lots of windows and tabs open. A professor noted a typo in our record, and I up and got curious; but we're going crazy preparing to send 100K books offsite before the John Hay library closes down for a year+ for a highly cosmetic renovation (you'll hardly know it's a library when they're done), so I've added a note to our local records. OCLC will just have to take care of itself. But I'm very glad to hear that these things can soon be officially cataloged as graphics: a victory for common sense.

Cheers - Richard

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br<mailto:RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu<http://own.edu>>