[DCRM-L] ["EXLIBRIS-L"] Cataloging question - 040$a

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Thu May 9 09:25:26 MDT 2013

Blynne,

We do our original cataloging directly in OCLC and we use our OCLC
symbol in 040 $a. I think either one (MARC21 code or OCLC symbol) is
okay to use. OCLC requires use of the OCLC symbol in $c but they don't
require it for $a. I imagine this is because the original cataloging
agency need not be an OCLC member (and thus might not have an OCLC
symbol) but the transcribing agency will always be an OCLC member
(assuming the records are being contributed to OCLC). Of course, if
you only catalog in your local system, it doesn't matter - you can use
your MARC21 code in both $a and $c if you'd like. But if you then
contribute those records to OCLC via batch loading, I believe OCLC
will convert your $c to your OCLC code on those records that get added
as new master records. We don't do batchloading but this is what I've
read in OCLC's documentation.

We don't do EAD finding aids, so I leave that part of the question to others.

The OCLC-Cat discussion list might also be a good place to pose these questions.

Manon

--

Manon Théroux
Head of Technical Services