[DCRM-L] Adding punctuation in a 246?

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu May 16 08:59:34 MDT 2013

A punctuation variant is of no value in the system. Why not follow original
punctuation in the 245 transcription? 246, in this instance, is designed to
provide alternate indexing strings, which are not affected by the omission
of the comma, and it's not even identified as the *original* punctuation.

Obiter dictum: Frankly, I thing the whole 245 thing is a a bit of a crock
in DCRM. The data have two functions, mostly compatible in "regular"
cataloging--to enable discovery by way of a conventionalized transfer of
information from the from the object itself, and matching, on a "best bet"
basis (if the resulting title transcriptions match, the actual titles are
quite probably "the same"). DCRM adds a bit more granularity to the latter
function, to provide a more reassuring test for possible distinction of
manifestations, or variants within a manifestation that must be accounted
for and *dis*counted as distinguishing manifestations; but it complicates
that function by retaining too many of the transformative conventions of
regular cataloging (transpositions, omissions, purely aesthetic one-way
typographical adjustments, etc.).

More useful would be a designated field (or possibly an allowable use of
246 with a standard $i prefix) for direct transcription, identified as
such. An image would work even better. The question is whether there are
still too many contexts in which an image is not usable. Does anyone still
dwell in Low-ASCII Land?

Of course (and this has consequences for the functions under discussion and
the resources required to implement them properly) we're dealing now with
RDA's incomplete implementation of FRBR. Following its usual habit of not
talking in terms that make sense in *cataloging* (as opposed to
bibliography), RDA does not provide for authority records for
manifestations. That's what *bibliographies* do: every entry is essentially
an authority record, with notes on copies. The RDA enterprise really
envisions the transformation of cataloging (object description and
inventory) into bibliography (a comprehensive account of entity
relationships). "Envisions", I say--but the "vision" is not on display,
and, I fear, may be hidden even from  its creators.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>