[DCRM-L] Adding punctuation in a 246?

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Thu May 16 13:22:49 MDT 2013

Thanks, Manon and Richard.

In many cases the most efficient way to get the text into a 246 is to copy-and-paste the 245, then change a thing or two, so deleting the comma one less thing to have to do.

But I'm with Richard about the problems of sort-of-but-not-really transcribing in the 245 (though I'd recommend "by the way" instead of "obiter dictum"). It's especially irksome with prints because museum online catalogs do not alter punctuation and do not change case (and therefore do not change letterform) so those researchers think the OPAC is in error.

Long story short: if there isn't a formal rule against it, I'm leaving out the comma in the added title entries. if forced to compromise, I might only omit it in the one provides a graphical conversion, where V becomes v no matter what, since the point is to show what's on the piece of paper itself.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm hugely in favor of the $i, and it's used all the time when cataloging art at the Folger. It wouldn't be prohibited to provide a $i like Richard suggests, would it? In the case of this print, it could be something like "$i Quasi-facsimile transcription: $a SER, SIVE SERICVS VERMIS" -- it doesn't make a difference to searching, but it puts a common version of the title where people expect to look for different titles. Mixing them between the 246 and a note makes data migration that much harder.

   Erin.

----------------
Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20009  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. 202-675-0323  |  fax 202-675-0328  |  www.folger.edu

________________________________
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] on behalf of Manon Theroux [manon.theroux at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:25 PM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Adding punctuation in a 246?

Erin,

That is what I do. If I'm inserting a comma after "or" (or its equivalent) preceding an alternative title in the 245 field, I do the same in the 246 field. It's only the variant spelling that I worry about in the 246. I might make an exception locally to provide punctuation variants in 246 fields if I knew my system indexed certain marks of punctuation differently. I don't know of any system for which commas are a problem, but I've heard that sometimes other marks are problematic.

Manon

--
Manon Théroux
Head of Technical Services