[DCRM-L] FW: OCLC matching/merging question for BIBCO: place of publication

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Nov 1 15:01:23 MDT 2013

Re Erin's post below and OCLC's remark: "
In the past, when the same content was published in two countries (UK
publication and US publication for example), it often came out at different
times and may have had bibliographic significance.  We are not so certain
that is the case today."

Though the dcrm... codes may mean what they mean, might it not be possible,
given the close correspondence of full rda and DCRM treatment, to invoke
the code as protection from unwarranted conflation--as if what it actually
signifies is "We mean *this* manifestation, not *that* one, darn it!"

It can be significant even with popular titles. Think of the silent editing
that sometimes goes on between UK and US editions--e.g. most famously, in
recent times, editions of the Harry Potter books. OCLC love lowering their
expectations of users, as an opportunity to coarsen the database that *
claims* to be a "World"Cat. If you think you know what they want, why
should they know otherwise?

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>