[DCRM-L] Panoramas and DCRM(G)

Cordes, Ellen ellen.cordes at yale.edu
Tue Oct 8 10:25:07 MDT 2013

Francis,

Okay, here is my take.  Other editors may feel differently. First of all, I would not call this a panorama since it does not form one image.

1) Since it looks as if you know that there were 8 plates used create this work create this work with  42 images (certainly as a scroll but possibly as a codex?) I think of it as a multipart resource.

2) Referencing (5B2.1. Choose a term from the list below for the specific material designation. If considered important, give further description in other physical details (see 5C) and in the note area.)

I think you could describe this as

8 prints on 1 scroll   if you want to emphasize the fact that there were 8 plates used to create the resource
Or
42 pictures on 1 scroll   if you want to emphasize the fact that there were 42 scenes

In either case the note would help clarify what is going on.

Also referencing  5B4.1. Containers and physical carriers for multipart resources. Record the number and type of containers or physical carriers immediately following the specific material designation when they are original to the material and necessary to accurately communicate its extent ... Container and physical carrier terms that may be added to the specific material designation include, but are not limited to ... Leaves it open for you to use "on 1 scroll" even though the word scroll is not on the list.  I would be inclined to use it since it seems that it was issued that way because both you (YCBA) and PM hold examples.

5B4.2. Multiple images on one support. If more than one discrete image is on a single support, indicate this immediately following the specific material designation (see also 1H).

3) I would consider it a scroll since it seems to have been issued that way, so at least use 5D3.11.1.  If you can, I would be measure it both opened and closed, but the rules allow you to provide just the rolled measurements.

5D3.11.1. For material created as a scroll (as opposed to material rolled for storage), record the sheet height x diameter when rolled.
1 drawing ; rolled to 29 x 3 cm (scroll format)
5D3.11.2. Optionally, add measurement of dowels or handles if they are original.
1 drawing ; rolled to 26.5 x 3 cm, on dowel 35 cm long (scroll format)

5D3.11.3. Optionally, record sheet height x length when unrolled
1 drawing ; sheet 39 x 380 cm (scroll format)
4) Hum.  Hard one.  But, since the resource is those same 8 plates, I would think it is one resource and only one record is warranted. Copy specific notes explaining the various ways in which it was issued?

Other ideas, fellow DCRM(G) editors?

Ellen