[DCRM-L] Panoramas and DCRM(G)

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Tue Oct 8 08:53:19 MDT 2013

For a certain variety of panorama, I am having trouble applying DCRM(G)'s rules for physical description and hope that an editor may chime in with guidance. I have in hand Robert Cruikshank's Going to a fight, and provide below a portion of the Morgan's record for reference.

This image may also prove useful:
http://cushing.library.tamu.edu/collections/browse-major-collections/GoingtoaFight.html

Questions:

1.       Given that the panorama comprises 42 distinct scenes, should we consider this a single item or a multipart resource?

2.       Let's assume that each of the eight sheets was printed from a single plate. What should we record for the specific material designation? 1 print? 8 prints? 42 prints? 1 item? 42 pictures?

3.       Should this be considered a scroll? Should we provide measurements for the item rolled and unrolled?

4.       Let's imagine another version of this emerged, comprised of each of the eight sheets somehow bound as a codex (but without a title page), and issued at the same time as the scrolled version. The content is identical, except that the codex version lacks the wooden drum bearing the illustrated label. Is there any reason to consider this a variation requiring a new record?

Please feel free to suggest an entire 300 field (with invented data, where need be).

Thanks,
Francis

*Author/Artist:

Cruikshank, Robert, 1789-1856<http://corsair.themorgan.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20131008064421&PID=Ghk919GSlEMtWH6aFS1jWKcZpBk_rRp&SA=Cruikshank,+Robert,+1789-1856>

*Title:

Going to a fight : [showing] the sporting world in all its variety of style and costume along the road from Hyde Park Corner to Moulsey Hurst.<http://corsair.themorgan.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Title&SEQ=20131008064421&PID=Ghk919GSlEMtWH6aFS1jWKcZpBk_rRp&SA=Going+to+a+fight+:+%5bshowing%5d+the+sporting+world+in+all+its+variety+of+style+and+costume+along+the+road+from+Hyde+Park+Corner+to+Moulsey+Hurst.>

*Published/Created:

[London : Pubd. by Sherwood, Neely, & Jones, Sept. 1, 1819]

1 scroll : col. ill. ; 2 1/2 x 156 inches

Credit:

Gift of Julia P. Wightman, 1991.

Genres:

Aquatints --England --19th century.<http://corsair.themorgan.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SEQ=20131008064421&PID=Ghk919GSlEMtWH6aFS1jWKcZpBk_rRp&SA=Aquatints+England+19th+century.>

Scrolls (information artifacts)<http://corsair.themorgan.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SEQ=20131008064421&PID=Ghk919GSlEMtWH6aFS1jWKcZpBk_rRp&SA=Scrolls+(information+artifacts)>

Panoramas --England --19th century.<http://corsair.themorgan.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SEQ=20131008064421&PID=Ghk919GSlEMtWH6aFS1jWKcZpBk_rRp&SA=Panoramas+England+19th+century.>

Notes:

Imprint and size from Abbey.

Continuous strip, measuring 2 1/2 x 156 inches; on paper. Signed: I.R. Cruikshank, Invt. & Fecit

Panorama of 8 sheets joined to make a continous strip of 42 scenes; in boxwood drum with colored aquatint label of boxing scene.

Signed on panel 2: "I.R. Cruikshank invt & fecit". Imprint on plate 8 (scene 41) "London Pubd. by Sherwood, Neely & Jones, Septr. 1, 1819."

Colored aquatints.

A copy of "Key to the picture of the fancy Going to a fight at Moulsey-Hurst. Dedicated, by permisson, to Mr. Jackson and the Pugilistic Club. Designed and etched by I.R. Cruikshank, under the direction of P. Egan" provided by a collector is in the departmental folder for this work.

Full record: http://corsair.themorgan.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=205451

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>

Please note:  The Study Room is closed due to the Center's refurbishment project, and access to the collections is limited and by appointment only. Requests for materials from Prints and Drawings and Rare Books and Manuscripts should be made at least two weeks in advance by e-mailing ycba.prints at yale.edu<mailto:ycba.prints at yale.edu>. It is expected that normal services in the Study Room will resume in early January 2014.