[DCRM-L] Standard Citation form for Online resources

Cordes, Ellen ellen.cordes at yale.edu
Wed Oct 9 10:39:09 MDT 2013

Dorothy,

Your question prompted a flurry of emails amongst the SCF editors yesterday!  I have been delegated the task of summarizing where we are.  Here is the current wording of the relevant guideline:

All versions of the same resource, regardless of medium, should be given the same citation, provided that their content and numbering remain the same across all formats.  If numbering or content varies between versions or formats, treat each version or format as a different edition and add an appropriate qualifier.

So, VD-16 is correct without the qualifier.

Your question to the list is a good opportunity to do a plug for the public hearing for the revision of SCF at Midwinter Sunday 1:00-2:30.  More later from our chair Marcia Barrett.

Ellen

<snip>
What is the current preferred qualifier for citing online bibliographic databases?  Early proposals suggested "(WWW)" ... but that seems dated to me now.  I think "(online)" was also proposed.  Also if a resource ONLY exists online (such as VIAF, or the ESTC) do we need to specify that we accessed it online?

E.g.

VD-16 vs.
VD-16 (online)

to distinguish the print version from online version

vs. VD-17 which only exists online.  Should it be qualified as an online only resource?  That seems redundant.

Thank you.

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Rare Book Cataloger
Henry E. Huntington Library
dauyong at huntington.org<mailto:dauyong at huntington.org>

Ellen R. Cordes
Head of Technical Services, The Lewis Walpole Library

Telephone:     (860) 677-2140
Fax:  (860) 677-6369

Mailing Address:
The Lewis Walpole Library
P.O. Box 1408
Farmington, CT 06034

Street Address:  (Shipping Address for FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.):
The Lewis Walpole Library
154 Main Street
Farmington, CT 06032