[DCRM-L] Usage poll

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Sep 17 08:36:03 MDT 2013

If the context is our own book-centered technical literature, then
"bibliographic record" is acceptable--we know it belongs in a catalog. In
any other context, especially any writing for non-catalogers, we should use
"catalog record", a perfectly idiomatic noun phrase that clearly expresses
the nature of the thing. "Cataloging record" would be, as others have
pointed out, a record concerning the activity of cataloging (a gerund,
fwiw).

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>