[DCRM-L] Limitations of MARC 581

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Apr 11 07:55:42 MDT 2014

Might there not be system-specific reasons for wanting to use a designated
field for links? They need to be managed in various ways, and there are
free-text fields to describe the link, which could be just as well be
copy-specific as related to the resource generally. The definition of the
field certainly fits the bill:

"Information needed to locate and access an electronic resource.  The field
may be used in a bibliographic record for a resource when that resource or
a subset of it is available electronically.  In addition,* it may be used
to locate and access an electronic version of a non-electronic resource
described in the bibliographic record* [emphasis added] or a related
electronic resource."

If any field that now lacks it really needs |5 that would seem to be the
one. Or is that just one more deck chair on the good ship MARC?

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>