[DCRM-L] 4B6.5 Place of publication associated with an earlier edition

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Tue Apr 29 14:38:56 MDT 2014

I’m second guessing myself in applying this rule. Based on what I’m finding
for records coded DCRMB in OCLC, there seems to be two applications of the
rule.

1.

London printed, 1639, Boston, New England, reprinted : $b by Thomas and
John Fleet in Cornhill, and Green and Russell, in Queen-Street, $c 1764.

2.

[Boston, Mass.] : $b London printed, 1639. Boston, New England, reprinted
by Thomas and John Fleet in Cornhill, and Green and Russell, in
Queen-Street, $c 1764.

As I read the rule, example 1 seems closest to it in spirit. But I must
admit I think example 2 is clearer and has greater fidelity to what appears
on the title-page.

So giants of the rare materials cataloging world, should it be 1 or 2?  Or
have I overlooked some other instruction entirely?

Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

Best,

Will

Will Evans