[DCRM-L] 040 $e dcrmg will be valid in OCLC in May

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:28:32 MDT 2014

It is frustrating that the technical notices that go out from the LC
Network Development and MARC Standards Office include this notice about
newly approved codes:

"The code should not be used in exchange records until 60 days after the
date of this notice to provide implementers time to include newly-defined
codes in any validation tables."

But OCLC, one of the major implementers and exchange partners, takes 6
months to add the new code.

It seems like either LC should revise their announcements to specify a more
realistic embargo period (or at least include a caveat that some
implementers may take much longer than 60 days) or OCLC should look into
the possibility of making more frequent MARC updates.

No doubt it is more complicated than it seems...

-Manon