[DCRM-L] Citations in RDA

JOHN C ATTIG jxa16 at psu.edu
Thu Aug 7 11:32:28 MDT 2014

I have played several roles relevant to this proposal.

First, I drafted RDA Appendix J on behalf of the JSC. I included the Descriptive relationships in Appendix J with the 510 field in mind. Although it was argued that descriptive relationships are by definition subject relationships (and therefore out of scope for RDA at that point), I argued that this particular use case -- references citing published descriptions of a resource -- needed to be supported by RDA, and that treating them as structured descriptions of the "described in" relationship was the best way to do this.

As a member of the JSC Technical Working Group, I noted that Recommendation 2 in this document would have made it impossible to record a reference citing a particular edition (expression) of a bibliography, etc. (the second editions of the Short-Title Catalogues came to mind). Therefore, I described this use case and urged the group to include what now appears as recommendation 3.

With this by way of background, I will add that I am still not convinced that the "described in" relationships currently in Appendix J need to be treated as a type of subject relationship -- and that therefore any references to an expression, manifestation, or item cannot be valid. Or, to argue a slightly different point, I think that this use case may demonstrate that not all "subject" relationships relate to the work . However, that is the current state of the models RDA is attempting to follow. Recommendation 3 does at least provide an appropriate element in which to record references to published descriptions, even if those references are in an expression, manifestation, or an item -- which would allow the practice of recording such references in field 510 to be covered by RDA.

All this is a long way of saying that I agree with Francis's suggestion that we endorse Recommendations 3 and 4 -- and to suggest that we might wish to comment on Recommendation 2.

John