[DCRM-L] Citations in RDA

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Fri Aug 8 07:58:01 MDT 2014

It’s good to know that we have someone on the Technical Working Group looking out for our interests!  I too have mixed feelings about the treatment of the “described in/describes” relationship as subject; but I don’t feel knowledgeable enough about the FRSAD model to argue that case (others are welcome to!).

To get the ball rolling for our support of Recommendations 3 and 4, here’s a start:

RBMS supports Recommendations 3 and 4. The practice of making References to Published Descriptions is vital to special collections cataloging. For descriptive cataloging, the addition of attributes for Reference to Published Citation (Manifestation) and Reference to Published Citation (Item) would be very welcome. They would formally provide RDA elements for citations of the kind that we record in MARC bibliographic field 510. While Reference to Published Citation (Work) and Reference to Published Citation (Expression) are generally out of scope of DCRM, they would be logical additions as well.

Current community practice (as embodied in Standard Citation Forms for Rare Book Cataloging) places an emphasis on citations as attributes; however, we do look forward to the possibility of expressing these citations as relationships. To that end, Recommendation 4 is a necessary component of the current proposal. It is imperative that we are able to establish a relationship between the Manifestation/Item in hand and the Expression of the bibliography (etc.) in which it is cited. Expressions of bibliographies (etc.) are the fundamental unit of reference in Standard Citation Forms for Rare Book Cataloging.

Francis