[DCRM-L] Abbreviation/contraction question: S:ae R:ae M:tis

LeMay, Jason T. jason.lemay at emory.edu
Mon Aug 11 11:46:05 MDT 2014

Good afternoon, everyone!

I'm hoping someone will have some insight to share on this. I've recently begun working on a project cataloging 17th and 18th century Latin dissertations from Sweden and Germany and have occasionally been running into abbreviations/contractions on the title pages of some that I'm not sure how to transcribe.

The phrase I keep seeing is "S:ae R:ae M:tis," where the ae's are actually ligatures. I know that the colon is often used to abbreviate, and would generally be recorded as a period if it were at the end of each word. But in this case it seems as though it is being used to create contractions. (an example of what I have can be seen at https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Carl_von_Linn%C3%A9_Museum_Sae_Rae_Mtis_Ludovicae_Ulric?id=kccxOB5D4CIC - thanks to Deborah Leslie for the link!).

For now, I've been recording this as "sae. rae. mtis." based on other samples I've viewed in OCLC, but I don't know how trustworthy those samples are...

Thanks for any assistance and insight!

Jason LeMay

-----
Jason LeMay
Assistant Law Librarian for Cataloging and Metadata
Emory University School of Law | Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library
1301 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322| 404-727-0850
jason.lemay at emory.edu<mailto:jason.lemay at emory.edu>
-----