[DCRM-L] Abbreviation/contraction question: S:ae R:ae M:tis

Kathie Coblentz kathiecoblentz at nypl.org
Mon Aug 11 13:28:45 MDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM, <dcrm-l-request at lib.byu.edu> wrote:

> From: "Cates, Patrick" <cates at gts.edu>
> To: jason.lemay at emory.edu, DCRM Revision Group List <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 14:24:06 -0400
> Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Abbreviation/contraction question: S:ae R:ae M:tis
> Jason,
>
> Given the context of your example referring to Queen Louisa Ulrike, I
> would guess it is the phase is S[erenissim]ae R[egi]ae M[aiesta]tis.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Patrick
>
> Patrick Cates
> Technical Services Librarian
> Christoph Keller, Jr. Library
> General Theological Seminary
> 440 W. 21st Street
> New York, NY 10011
> 646-717-9789

The abbreviation more likely stands for "sacræ regiæ majestatis," "of/to
the royal sacred majesty." I think you will find it used with male as well
as female sovereigns.
Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger
Collections Strategy/Special Formats Processing
The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
5th Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313
New York, NY  10018
kathiecoblentz at nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's