[DCRM-L] Abbreviation/contraction question: S:ae R:ae M:tis

Kathie Coblentz kathiecoblentz at nypl.org
Mon Aug 11 13:45:26 MDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM, <dcrm-l-request at lib.byu.edu> wrote:

> The abbreviation more likely stands for "sacræ regiæ majestatis," "of/to
> the royal sacred majesty." I think you will find it used with male as well
> as female sovereigns.
> Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger
> Collections Strategy/Special Formats Processing
> The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
> 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313
> New York, NY  10018
> kathiecoblentz at nypl.org
>
> My opinions, not NYPL's

I think I quoted the wrong post in attempting to reply. The first word
could stand for "serenissimæ," though "sacræ" is more common, but the
second word is surely "regiæ," not "reginæ."

As to the transcription, I agree with Deborah Leslie that it should be
"'Sae. Rae. Mtis"  ... remembering also that we are still admonished to
transcribed Latin ligatured "æ" as "ae" (0G1.1).
kathiecoblentz at nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's