[DCRM-L] Form of citation - 510 field

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Feb 20 14:26:33 MST 2014

I agree, it does seem to me bizarre that RDA has "compiler" as a relationship designator for this, but at least it is clearly under "creator" (i.e., parallel with "author"), meaning under AACR2 anyway this person would have been given main entry. I'd just as soon we use "author" for this relationship, especially since, as you note, the term "compiler" is much more commonly used in English to mean what the RDA relationship designator "editor of compilation" means.

By the way, with the 2014 RDA revision "editor of compilation" will be done away with, merged with "editor". I think the thinking was the disctinction has been confusing and the benefit of making the distinction not all that great. But as you point out, now there will be continuing confustion with "compiler", which is bizarrely not used for people who compile things like anthologies.

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568