[DCRM-L] invitation to comment: Curator rel. designator

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 16 12:08:16 MDT 2014

Hello all,

While work progresses on the revision of DCRM in alignment with RDA, there
are also several opportunities for the DCRM community to influence the
development of RDA.

To that end, as the incoming RBMS/BSC liaison to CC:DA, I will periodically
share and invite your feedback on RDA revision proposals that are
potentially relevant to the DCRM community.

To begin with, a fast track proposal has been made to revise the
relationship designator for Curator. The text of the proposal is included
below. The deadline for comment is *July 30.*

I will collect any feedback on this and other proposals and incorporate it
into our responses to the CC:DA or JSC as appropriate. Thank you in advance
for your participation!

Matthew Haugen
RBMS/BSC Liaison to CC:DA

*Fast Track*

ARLIS (UK) has queried the definition of the relationship designator
curator in RDA Appendix I.5.2

Current Definition

*curator* A person, family, or corporate body conceiving, aggregating,
and/or organizing an exhibition, collection, or other item.

*collection registrar* A curator who lists or inventories the items in an
aggregate work such as a collection of items or works.

*collector* A curator who brings together items from various sources that
are then arranged, described, and cataloged as a collection.

Conceiving and organizing an exhibition appear to be more appropriate
relationships with a work than an item.  The following changes are proposed:

I.2.1 Relationship Designators for Creators

*curator* (work) A person, family, or corporate body conceiving, and/or
organizing an exhibition

I.5.2 Relationships Designators for Other Persons, Families Corporate
Bodies Associated with an Item

MARKED UP COPY

*curator* (item) A person, family, or corporate body conceiving,
aggregating, and/or organizing  preparing an exhibition, collection, or
other item.

*collection registrar* A curator who lists or inventories the items in an
aggregate work such as a collection of items or works.

*collector* A curator who brings together items from various sources that
are then arranged, described, and cataloged as a collection.

CLEAN COPY

*curator* (item) A person, family, or corporate body preparing an exhibit,
collection, or other item.

*collection registrar* A curator who lists or inventories the items in an
aggregate work such as a collection of items or works.

*collector* A curator who brings together items from various sources that
are then arranged, described, and cataloged as a collection.

Alan Danskin

15/7/2014

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger