[DCRM-L] invitation to comment: Curator rel. designator

Ryan Hildebrand ryan.hildebrand at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 17 12:36:36 MDT 2014

Some of my comments will go beyond the scope of the invitation to comment, but I think the curator hierarchy could use some attention.

I have many of the same concerns as Erin. Regarding "preparation," at my institution we have exhibits prep staff, most of whom are not curators. They are chiefly concerned with preparing objects and gallery space for an exhibition, but not selecting, describing, or contextualizing.

One solution--and I don't know if it is the best--would be to establish relationship designators for specific curatorial roles, e.g., "curator of exhibition" and "curator of collection." However, the latter would overlap significantly with "collector" (scope note: A curator who brings together items from various sources that are then arranged, described, and cataloged as a collection).

Are the additional curatorial roles (or at least some of them) mentioned by Erin appropriately indicated by "collector"? While the scope note might justify use of the term, it is strange within the context of our work to think of extra-institutional collectors as curators, and stranger still to think of curators of collections as "collectors." (Generally, I still assume "curator" to imply institutional affiliation, either as an employer to the curatorial entity or as a facilitator of his/her/its work.)

See also AAT on all of this:

Curators: Persons who superintend or manage the collections, exhibitions, research activities, and personnel of a museum, art gallery, zoo, or other place of exhibit; also, the superintends or managers of a single collection or subject of study in such an institution.

Collectors: Generally, a person who collects specimens, works of art, curiosities.

Sincerely,
Ryan

--
Ryan Hildebrand