[DCRM-L] invitation to comment: Curator rel. designator

Elizabeth O'Keefe eokeefe at themorgan.org
Thu Jul 17 13:50:28 MDT 2014

I, too, am having difficulty with these terms. For one thing, I see them as
occupational titles rather than as roles.  Curators, collection registrars,
and collectors do many different things (and as others have noted, one need
not be a curator to prepare an exhibition, or act as a registrar or a
collector). Shouldn't a relationship indicator between a person, family or
corporate body and a resource specify what the person etc. does with
reference to that resource?

 It would also help to have examples of the entities that these
relationship designators would be appropriate for. As defined, they seem to
apply to events (e.g. an exhibition) or to corporate bodies (some
collections are corporate bodies), rather than to WEMI entities.  An
example of a WEMI entity would be something like a published or unpublished
inventory of a collection, where you want to create an access point for the
person who created the inventory. But I would use "author" or some other
term descriptive of the person's contribution to the resource, rather than
the terms covered in this fast track proposal.

Liz O'Keefe

--
Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 2127685680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library's comprehensive collections catalog:
http://corsair.themorgan.org