[DCRM-L] Digital bookplate examples

Randal S. BRANDT rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 28 16:07:58 MDT 2014

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my request for examples of digital
bookplate implementations. Following is a compilation of examples.

*Brown University;*

- digital bookplates home page:   http://library.brown.edu/bookplates/

- bookplate for a very generous donor:
http://library.brown.edu/bookplates/honoree.php?id=406

- public record for one of his really good ones:
http://josiah.brown.edu/record=b4091974

- corresponding Millennium item record (view source on the plate's page to
see values input into y and f):

COPY # 1 INVDA   -  -     LOCATION h2rocHAY at ROCK
ICODE1 0 IN LOC 300 LOANRULE 0
ICODE2 vHAY VAULT # RENEWALS 0 STATUS yHAY CLOSED
I TYPE 0Circ Regular # OVERDUE 0 INTL USE  0
PRICE $0.00 ODUE DATE   -  -     COPY USE 0
OUT DATE   -  -       :     IUSE3 0 IMESSAGE
DUE DATE   -  -     RECAL DATE   -  -     OPACMSG
PATRON# 0 Total Circ 1995+ 2 Circ 7/2012+ 8
LPATRON 1170151 TOT RENEW 0 Circ 7/2010-6/2012 10
LCHKIN 05-21-2014 05:25PM LOUTDATE 05-21-2014 12:37PM
y 856     |uhttp://library.brown.edu/bookplates/honoree.php?id=406|zGift
<http://library.brown.edu/bookplates/honoree.php?id=406%7CzGift> of Daniel
G. Siegel, Class of 1957
n location code changed from "star" to "hstar" 2/14/2011, bb
b 3 1236 09407 4492
m RETURN TO VAULT
w Daniel Siegel
f bookplateSiegelDanielG57

*University of Chicago:*

Here are a few examples.  We are Horizon/Aquabrowser, but are about (this
weekend!) to switch to open source Kuali OLE/VuFind.  The examples are from
our beta version of VuFind.

http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/1048947

http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/3616301

http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/3593893

*Duke University:*

Duke uses the 796 field and our systems team somehow translated this into
an e-bookplate in the ILS (Aleph). Under the details tab, you can see a
link under the notes – when you click it - a bookplate window pops up.  We
tend to use this for acquisition funds, and the field is entered at the
time the temp record is created, but we can also enter free text for
occasions when a curator requests it for donors.

http://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006041712

The MARC looks like this:

796 13 $a Family of Dr. William Brueggemann $e donor $x Gift of $z In
Memory of Dr. William Brueggemann

*UNC-Chapel Hill:*

We’re doing this in a limited way at UNC-Chapel Hill.  Here’s an example:
http://afton.lib.unc.edu/record=b7294050 (see the added author for Justice
John Wallace Winborne Library Fund, which is in a 791 field).  My
understanding is that the database management librarian runs a report
periodically looking for records that have been cataloged since the last
time she ran the report, and based on the fund that the item was purchased
on, a 791 field is added to the bib record.  Digital bookplates are not
used for people who give us books as gifts, just for funds that are used to
purchase items.  We also use Millennium as our ILS.  Let me know if there’s
any more information I can provide.

*University of Texas:*

Here are some examples from the UT Libraries (III, Sierra). It is a nice
way to supply (via patron click) collection information and acknowledge a
funding source or donor.

http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/record=b8805616~S29

http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/record=b8726731~S29

http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/record=b8330224~S29

http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/record=b8805396~S29

*New Mexico State University:*

Here are a few records with bookplates:

http://libcat.nmsu.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=205&recCount=15&recPointer=12&bibId=1488685

http://libcat.nmsu.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=207&recCount=15&recPointer=14&bibId=1486597

For some collections, we have made 730 title added entry collections, as
in the Dave DeWitt Chile Pepper Research Institute Collection.

*University of Vermont:*

We tested virtual bookplates inspired by the work at University of Florida
that they wrote about it in ACRL News:
http://crln.acrl.org/content/71/8/419.short

It didn't really take off, but I still have the java script if you want to
play around with it. Here you can see a live demo on my test site:
http://amberbilley.info/dev/bookplate/donor.html?donor=Gift%20of%20Deborah%20Leslie

If you change the text after the = in the address bar and reload the page,
it will print whatever text you enter. The idea would be to run a macro
that would pull the donor info from a note into an 856 URL that would print
to the OPAC.

--
Randal S. Brandt
The Bancroft Library | University of California, Berkeley
510.643.2275 | rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu