[DCRM-L] Missed cancellation or binding error? (Or something else?)

Barbara Tysinger btysingr at email.unc.edu
Mon Jun 23 15:39:37 MDT 2014

Hi All,
I'm hoping I can get in one last collation question before everyone
disappears for ALA!

I am cataloging a book with consistent gatherings in 8vo, until I reach
the last gathering.
It is also appears to be in 8vo, but the gathering should have been
split between two separate copies.
As you can see in the scanned version (Google books link below), the
last signature R (page 257), ends after 4 leaves.
However my copy has those last pages duplicated. Not additional pages
with duplicate numbering, but the actual pages duplicated.
Beginning with the half-title page I have A-S^(8) then the R signature,
with leaves R1 through R4 repeated as R5 through R8.
How to I transcribe that into the signature formula? Or do I? Is it a
"missed" cancellation? A binding error?
Should I construct the signature formula as though I had a "perfect"
copy, with a note about the duplicate pages?

Sorry, it seems to me the more I try to explain what I have, the more
confusing it becomes.

/Filosofía médica ó Principios fundamentales de la ciencia y el/ ...,
tome 2. Madrid, 1802.
[Translation of /Philosophie me?dicale, ou, Principes fondamentaux de la
science/ ... Paris, 1796]
http://books.google.com/books?id=EXjBr9l2-U0C&pg=PA257#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thank you in advance for any insights!

Barbara
...................All opinions are entirely my own....................

Barbara R. Tysinger                                Phone: (919)966-0949
Health Sciences Library                            Fax: (919)966-1388
335 S. Columbia Street, CB# 7585
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7585
e-mail: Barbara_Tysinger at unc.edu

......."Non pilus tam tenuis ut secari non possit."-- St. Minutia......