[DCRM-L] Shelflist cards

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Tue Mar 4 11:19:47 MST 2014

Our special collections and archives department at the University of California at Irvine (my former employer) stopped getting shelf list cards about 20 years ago. At the time, we heavily used the existing cards for obsolete location information that hadn't yet been put online. Ceasing card production was preceded by establishing a complete set of location codes that put every bit of location info online for newly-produced records, and we could produce a report from the online catalog any time we wanted to do a physical inventory. We then made it a catalog maintenance priority gradually to put all those erstwhile locations online-during which we also seized the opportunity to eliminate silly old locations such as "bookshelf in the northeast corner."

I strongly encourage you to take the step and move forward! So much to do that's really important. Best wishes, Jackie

--
Jackie Dooley
Program Officer, OCLC Research