[DCRM-L] 4B6.5 Place of publication associated with an earlier edition

Thu May 1 08:52:48 MDT 2014

Will,

An argument could be made that your example falls under 4A3.3, which would result in #2.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Will Evans
Sent: Tuesday, 29 April 2014 16:39
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] 4B6.5 Place of publication associated with an earlier edition

I’m second guessing myself in applying this rule. Based on what I’m finding for records coded DCRMB in OCLC, there seems to be two applications of the rule.

1.
London printed, 1639, Boston, New England, reprinted : $b by Thomas and John Fleet in Cornhill, and Green and Russell, in Queen-Street, $c 1764.

2.

[Boston, Mass.] : $b London printed, 1639. Boston, New England, reprinted by Thomas and John Fleet in Cornhill, and Green and Russell, in Queen-Street, $c 1764.

As I read the rule, example 1 seems closest to it in spirit. But I must admit I think example 2 is clearer and has greater fidelity to what appears on the title-page.

So giants of the rare materials cataloging world, should it be 1 or 2?  Or have I overlooked some other instruction entirely?

Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

Best,
Will

Will Evans