[DCRM-L] Extra leaves

Moschella, Jason jmoschella at bpl.org
Tue May 6 09:32:51 MDT 2014

Hi Amy -

The thing that I would first look to determine would be whether the pages were added by the binder or issued by the publisher. I would assume that they were added under the former circumstance. You can usually tell by a cursory visual comparison, or by just holding the paper up to the light and checking the chain lines, watermark, etc. If they appear to have been issued, for some reason, by the publisher, then that is a whole 'nother story that triggers some different descriptive necessities. You might check some bibliographies to see if any other copies make a note of these blank leaves.

In any event, I would personally consider this to be a "cataloger's discretion" situation if they were simply added at the time of binding and, if deemed important enough, I might make a copy-specific local note (590) along the lines of "FSU Special Collections copy bound [however it's been bound], with [X number] of blank preliminary leaves inserted."

Hope this helps,

Jay Moschella
Rare Books and Manuscripts Librarian
Boston Public Library