[DCRM-L] Off-topic: online library school program

Fri May 9 14:00:37 MDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I apologize in advance for sending something off-topic to this list, but I'd get scolded for sending it to rbms-l and don't want to send it to ExLibris because you never know what firebomb is going to come out of left field.

A talented, promising young man who works at the Folger has decided to go to Library School and has applied to online programs. He's interested in working in cultural heritage institutions, and wants to make sure he's getting good value for his money before committing himself. Specifically,  he wonders whether an degree from an online program could actually hurt his application. Given what he wants to do and where he's been working (and flourishing!), I don't think it would, as long as its accreditation status is solid.

But I'm just one person, and I know he would like to talk to others who could give him good advice. Thoughts?

Thanks for indulging me,
Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu