[DCRM-L] Signature marks that include parentheses

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Sun Oct 5 16:55:09 MDT 2014

Richard's response raises for me an interesting general question:  What are "best practices" with respect to bibliographic description, and where does one go to find them articulated?  (The reading list for Richard's Rare Book School course, "Advanced Descriptive Bibliography" - http://www.rarebookschool.org/reading/general/g50/ - provides much of the foundation for formulating those practices, but the works cited are not always in agreement - indeed, some are responses to others - and in any case none provides a useful and reliable distillation.)

A more specific question relates to the role of annotation of the formula in a description, and the meaning of "interpretation" with respect to the formula.  I take it to mean being able to reconstruct (more or less) the actual signing from the formula.  I say "more or less" because some details will hardly ever be recorded, such as whether there is a space between the letter and number in a signature - "A2" vs. "A 2” - or whether the numbers are arabic or roman - “Aij” vs. “A2" (not usually of significance, though occasionally possibly an indication of shared printing, if the practice varies among gatherings in the same book, or as an aid to localization) - and also because, especially in a catalogue record, the formula will often not be constructed with all possible details included (though perhaps that is just an instance of failure to follow best practices).

Difficulties arise when signatures either employ characters not present in fonts available to us (even Unicode doesn't have them all, let alone the "ALA character set" available in OCLC), or use typographic conventions that conflict with the usage of the formula or for which the formula doesn't offer a conventional representation.

For example, two sequences of A B C D, one of which is roman capitals, the other italic capitals, would both be represented (for a book gathered in fours) by A-D^4, and if two of the sequences appeared in the same book, the second would be preceded by a superscript "2" (or perhaps the first by a superscript "pi"), but in order to interpret them - to understand what was actually printed - annotation is required.  The use of parentheses or square brackets around signature marks is not uncommon, either to set apart a new unit or to indicate an interpolation, but square brackets, like italics, have a conventional significance in the standard formula.

An example of an unusual character was recently provided in the Folger blog "The Collation" (http://collation.folger.edu/2014/05/abbreviations-and-signatures/ ) - even those who are familiar with the fairly common (in incunabula, at least) "[con]" and "[rum]" mean might be stumped by "[ter]" without annotation - and there are several different forms that could be rendered as "[et]" or "&" (complicated, for cataloguers, by DCRM(B) G2, which calls for all of them to be transcribed as "&").  And does "[par.]" (or "[paragraph mark]") mean a pilcrow (Unicode 00B6), or a thing that looks like a backwards "D", filled in (sometimes referred to as a capitulum; no Unicode character), or what Unicode calls "curved stem paragraph sign ornament" (Unicode 2761 - some of the font representations of which look very like the "backwards D" character)?

In short, I find annotation often essential to interpretation of the collational formula, not at all an inconvenience.

I share Richard's view of those "silly, multi-syllabic expanded terms".  But it's not clear to me that among those who need to use the fruits of descriptive bibliography and cataloguing, all ambiguous or unusual characters or usages "will be understood by those who need to understand" them, without the aid of annotation.  And even if in the end an uncommon or complicated usage can be figured out, sometimes it makes more sense, in the interest of clarity, to add a verbal component to the symbolic representation.

A tangential thought: It would be very nice if there were a wiki devoted to signatures.  All of us have encountered interesting examples of the way books are signed; Richard Sayce's seminal article on localization based on various practices (many of which relate to signing) is perhaps the most striking example of the use to which the accumulation of such knowledge can be put.  But even just to have a place where examples of odd characters, unusual practices, and the like could be brought together, would I think be useful (as well as fun).  Any of us could create a blog of such things, but it would be much better to have a place where many people could contribute and interact, hosted institutionally, with images having permalinks.  (For any books that are held by the Folger, which would be a pretty large subset of the whole, their recently-announced wiki “Folgerpedia” might be useful: http://collation.folger.edu/2014/07/something-wiki-this-way-comes-or-welcome-to-folgerpedia/ .  But I'm not sure whether this use would fall within their guidelines - though the description of it as an "encyclopedia of all things Folger and of interest to the Folger community" would suggest that it might.)

With apologies for the delay in posting this response - sometimes non-bibliographical life gets in the way …

John Lancaster