[DCRM-L] Northern Ireland (and not just England, Scotland and Wales) in 752

Tony Curwen tony.curwen at zen.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 03:41:39 MDT 2014

Quite seriously, I do think Erin Blake's point is a good one, the general
question as well as the specific example.

I wonder how many jurisdictions there are which are commonly recognised
and referred to by an adjective or a generic noun before the place name?
United States ...   United Kingdom ...  United Arab Emirates ...
more?    Maybe Republic of South Africa  (common abbreviation R.S.A., not
just S.A., which can be confused with South Australia)?  Are these the
forms that users will normally think of, and does Getty take the same line?

T.C.