[DCRM-L] cataloging early manuscripts

Ducharme, Diane diane.ducharme at yale.edu
Thu Sep 11 08:40:31 MDT 2014

HI Mark,

The Beinecke Library has been creating AMREMM summary level records for our pre1600 manuscripts. The majority of these have full narrative-style catalog descriptions available in our Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Database, and many have been completely digitized and are available in our Digital Library. The AMREMM record is intended both to represent our pre1600 holdings in our OPAC (and in WORLDCAT) and to serve as a link to those fuller descriptive and digital resources. In addition, we contribute these records (and their associated images) to the Digital Scriptorium.

Beinecke’s AMREMM descriptions, while not nearly as detailed as  most descriptions of pre1600 manuscripts traditionally have been, have served to introduce more readers to our pre1600 material. They are now contextually searchable with our holdings of incunabula and early modern printed items and our early modern manuscript materials. Faculty in particular have appreciated the fuller view of the collections.

Best,
Diane

Diane Ducharme, Archivist
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
PO Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
Tel: 203-432-8125

The Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library will be closed for renovations May 2015- August 2016.  We will maintain a temporary reading room in Sterling Memorial Library during this time.  However, access to collections will be limited.  Please see http://beineckelibraryrenovation.yale.edu/ for further information.