[DCRM-L] Unusual signatures

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Sep 26 08:42:27 MDT 2014

The signatures are referred to as "unused". They are an element of the
printing plates, which could actually be arranged on the press in a
different way, that is, to produce a different format, and often were.

In some cases the plates contained two sets of signatures--often
alphabetical signatures for 8s and numerical signatures for 12s--and in
many cases neither set was used. This is a strictly American practice, as
far as I've ever seen--I've never seen it in a British or continental book.
It became so ridiculous that American printers generally abandoned the use
of signatures altogether over the course of the 1870s.

It is often possible to establish the actual structure of the book (the
arrangement of the leaves into gatherings), but unless you're familiar with
the phenomenon, and confident about your  ability to analyze the structure,
there's no reason worry about a collation. It's still possible to state
what the signatures are purely as an element of the printing plates,
without saying anything about format. Still, for most situations, a good
account of the pagination will suffice.

This is an early example, and I'd certainly remark on it for its value as
evidence regarding American printing practice of the period and place--but
Deborah's quite right to suggest being content with the AAS record--they're
... ummm ... pretty good at cataloging.

FWIW, there are examples of formal treatment in the Brown University
catalog:

http://josiah.brown.edu/search/X=%22unused+signatures%22

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>