[DCRM-L] Unusual signatures

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:29:12 MDT 2014

I think plates may have come this way--later Burns printings in this
country (late ca. 1850s onwards) sometimes were printed from rather tired
British plates--I think. It was a long time ago that I worked with that
collection, before I'd done much work with books other than C18 British
ones.

It appears that American book printers didn't print directly from type, but
from plates (this is perhaps too summarily stated, from Michael Winship).
Compositors would set signatures, but in many many cases no book was ever
printed from the plates with the indicated structure. In that way the link
between composition and presswork was pretty much severed, though
signatures, being habitual, kept appearing. British books retained them
into the late c20, and I've never met one with a non-matching structure.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>