[DCRM-L] CERL as an alternative for OCLC?

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Tue Apr 14 12:44:22 MDT 2015

It's my understanding, from E. C. Schroeder's presentation at the New York meeting mentioned by Erin, that contributing to HPB does not require additional cataloguing, but rather is a matter of uploading existing records for early printed books (I believe the cut-off date is 1830) from existing local catalogues, complete with copy-specific information.  Once the interface is set up, the process should be completely mechanical and transparent.

Special membership in CERL is not expensive (by the standards of such things); I believe it's €1,000.  Smaller institutions can band together to lower that cost.

But perhaps E. C. can weigh in with more specific (and accurate) details about the value of HPB, and involvement with it?

John Lancaster

P.S.  I've copied Cristina Dondi, CERL Secretary, not a member of this list.