[DCRM-L] Printed albums

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Fri Aug 7 10:15:29 MDT 2015

Andrea,

The free roaming, uncontrolled terms I've seen for the bound blank music books are: "Composition notebook", "Musician's journal" -they're somewhat akin to blank artist sketchbooks and meant to be filled.

RBMS Paper thesaurus has

Music papers
Broader Term
Types of paper by uses or names<http://rbms.info/vocabularies/paper/tr21.htm>

But I'm not sure that fits your needs either.

As for the "Albooks", it's an interesting question. Are you saying the actual physical medium (i.e. the bound album with ruled pages) is clearly a step/grade or two up from an "exercise book" for practicing? That it's intended for more of a "finished" manuscript product?

I think when the autographic process was the primary means for individuals to produce text, music or graphics, there probably was a market to make nicer substrates for "clean-copies".  They're not "exercise books" because they were meant to be preserved and possibly shared with an audience.

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Catalog Librarian/Archivist
Henry E. Huntington Library
Acquistions Cataloging and Metadata Services
dauyong at huntington.org