[DCRM-L] Folded leaf in a statement of extent

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Tue Aug 11 07:15:32 MDT 2015

Thanks Matt and Larry.

Matt, I didn’t see an analog to my situation in the East Asian Materials
book, and I do see your point about the inconsistency in counting 14 pages
on one side and 1 page on the other. But my approach is informed by the
idea of how times the press was used. The 14 portraits on the one side were
printed individually, and the 1 elongated image on the other side went
through a press once. Additionally I use, perhaps incorrectly, 5B14.1, as a
guiding principle:

5B14.1.

For a publication consisting of a single sheet designed to be used unfolded
(whether issued folded or unfolded), add a statement of pagination based on
the number of pages printed, not counting blanks, as follows:

1 sheet (2 p.)

(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>:
Sheet of any size printed on both sides, numbered)

1 sheet ([2] p.)

(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>:
Sheet of any size printed on both sides, unnumbered)

1 sheet ([3] p.)

(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>:
Folded sheet with title and colophon printed as 2 pages on “outside;” all
text printed as one page occupying the entire “inside”)

1 sheet (1 p.)

(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>:
Broadside or other sheet printed on one side, numbered)

1 sheet ([1] p.)

(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>:
Broadside or other sheet printed on one side, unnumbered)

The third example here is similar to my situation. Though I now see 5B14.2
seems of offer a contradictory directive.

Perhaps Larry is right. There is no “correct” way to handle this.

Thanks again,

Will