[DCRM-L] Review of RDA Revision Proposals: Week 1

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Tue Aug 11 09:51:03 MDT 2015

I agree with Nina and Deborah; the CCC proposal for punctuation is an improvement.

In your comments to CC:DA, you might also mention the following:

·         RDA’s current guidelines on punctuation transcription are already weak in regards to the principle of representation. Any suggestion that fidelity to marks of punctuation in a transcription is important for identification of the resource is severely undercut by RDA’s instructions to a) omit punctuation that separates data elements, and b) add punctuation, as necessary, for clarity.

·         The alternative proposed by CCC is in line with what the RBMS PS intend to instruct on punctuation transcription.

Thanks for working on the comments, Matthew.

Francis