[DCRM-L] 6JSC/LC/32: Revision to instructions for devised titles in RDA 2.3.2.11

Elizabeth O'Keefe eokeefe at themorgan.org
Thu Aug 13 13:40:10 MDT 2015

Francis,

Re your first point:

RDA defines a devised title as “A title proper **created by an agency**
preparing a description of a resource that bears no title itself and has no
title associated with it that can be found in other sources …” (my emphasis
added). If we record the opening words of a text, etc., as the title
proper, the agency is not creating the title, so it is not really devised;
so does that option really fit here?"

I think recording the opening words of a text does count as devising a
title, because, although it appears on the resource, it is not presented as
the title on the resource itself, or, presumably, in other reference
sources. How useful this is is a different matter. DCRM(MSS) has a
provision under devised title for using the first line of the text as the
title proper:

1B4.

Verse.

For a single poem, song, hymn, or other work in verse that lacks a formal
title, use as the title proper the first line of the text. Make a note on
the source of the title.

Dear friend, thou may'st confide

Note:  Title from first line of poem

Oh God! whose dread and dazzling brow

Note: : Title from first line of hymn

Poems and songs frequently do come to be named after their first lines, and
using this convention provides a useful identifier for the work (especially
since it would be hard to come up with a distinctive and/or meaningful
title for a poem or song). It may be more problematic for prose works. It
could be argued that a devised title that describes the content  better
supports finding the resource, OR that a title consisting of the opening
lines is preferable, because at least it provides something definite to
search.

I think you should be ready to duck on point two, though I still haven't
forged the appropriate missile.

Liz O'Keefe

--
Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 2127685680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library's comprehensive collections catalog:
http://corsair.themorgan.org