[DCRM-L] Beginning Words of Text as Devised Title (CCDA proposal review)

Elizabeth O'Keefe eokeefe at themorgan.org
Thu Aug 20 10:10:54 MDT 2015

In connection with the LC proposal relating to devised titles (
http://www.rda-jsc.org/sites/all/files/6JSC-LC-32.pdf), one of my ARLIS
colleagues has pointed out that DCRM(B) and (G) do not treat titles based
on the beginning words of text as devised titles, while the LC proposal
does.

DCRM(G):

1B5. Title from beginning words of text
1B5.1.
If no title can be found on or with the material, or in another source (see
1F1
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmg1F1&hash=1F1>),
and the material has sufficient non-incidental text (i.e., more than just
numbering, a mailing address, a customer name, etc.), use the beginning
words of such text as the title proper
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmgTitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&hash=TitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary>
(see also 1F3
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmg1F3&hash=1F3>).

H.R. Robinson, 52 Courtland St., Caricatures and prints
(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmgComment&hash=Comment>
: Resource being cataloged is Robinson’s illustrated advertisement)
Free speech, free soil, free men. This is to certify that [blank] is a
member of the [blank] Wide-awake Club
(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmgComment&hash=Comment>
: Membership certificate has blank spaces to be filled in later. See 0G6.4
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmg0G6PERIOD4&hash=0G6PERIOD4>
)

DCRM(B)
1B5. No title proper
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbTitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&hash=TitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>

<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr21PERIOD1B7&hash=1PERIOD1B7&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>

<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr22PERIOD14A&hash=2PERIOD14A&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>
If no title can be found in any source, use as the title proper
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbTitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&hash=TitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>
the opening words of the text if these provide a reasonably distinctive
title. If the opening words of the text are not suitable, or if the
beginning of the text is lacking, devise a brief descriptive title,
preferably in the language and script of the cataloging agency, and use
this devised title, enclosed in square brackets, as the title proper
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbTitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&hash=TitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>.
Make a note indicating whether the title proper
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbTitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&hash=TitleSPACEproperSLASHglossary&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>
is taken from the opening words of the text or has been devised by the
cataloger.
I am a jolly huntsman, my voice is shrill and clear
Note
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbNote&hash=Note&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>
: Title from opening two lines of poem
(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>:
Title is not bracketed because the first page of text is here the title
page substitute)
[Observations on a bill relative to the militia]
Note
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbNote&hash=Note&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>
: Title devised from content
(Comment
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbComment&hash=Comment&fq=allresources%7Ctrue>:
Opening words “Herewith and the desire of being serviceable in the smallest
degree to my country ...” not suitable as title)
[Sermon on Christian baptism]

The LC proposal added "the opening words of a text, etc." to the list of
types of information on which to base a devised title in RDA 2.3.2.11 (it
was previously not mentioned). I realize that DCRM instructions often
differ from AACR/RDA instructions (hence the need for DCRM2), but usually
in the direction of more, rather than less, use of brackets (or
equivalents), so I wondered whether any special collections catalogers had
reservations about this. Worst case scenario, it just becomes a RBMS policy
statement.

Liz O'Keefe

--
Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 2127685680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library's comprehensive collections catalog:
http://corsair.themorgan.org