[DCRM-L] OCLC's IR webinar (May 13)

Pearson, Audrey audrey.pearson at yale.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:56:20 MDT 2015

Please forgive me for resurrecting this old email thread, but I took a look back on these messages today and would like to generate more discussion.

The deadline for deciding whether to delete our IRs or migrate them to LBD looms ever closer, and at Yale we have yet to come to a decision. In Jennifer’s email from May, she states that it is possible for others to view the LBD. My understanding is that LBD from other institutions will not be viewable in Record Manager when we are cataloging, but will be viewable regardless of institutional affiliation in WorldCat Local and WorldCat Discovery.

Are there others who are currently using WMS or who have transitioned to LBD who can chime in? What I’d really like are examples (perhaps screenshots) of records that show LBD from multiple institutions in the same display. Every example I’ve seen so far, numbering approximately two, has shown LBD of the same institution whose WorldCat Local was used to display the record.

On the other hand, are there institutions who have deleted their IRs without migrating to LBD? If so, has this had a noticeable effect on workflow, reference, user discovery, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any examples or information you can provide.

Audrey Pearson
Catalog/Metadata Librarian
Yale University Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
P.O. Box 208330
New Haven, CT 06520-8330
203-432-1702
audrey.pearson at yale.edu<mailto:audrey.pearson at yale.edu>

The Beinecke Library’s building is closed for renovation until September 2016.  We have opened a temporary reading room in Sterling Memorial Library, but access to some collections may be limited during the renovation. For more information, visit our renovation website<http://beineckelibraryrenovation.yale.edu>.