[DCRM-L] Deletion of copy-specific fields/data from OCLC master?

Allison Jai O'Dell ajodell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 06:28:01 MST 2015

I delete copy-specific data only if there is no $5.  If there *is* a $5,
then we have valuable data about copies -- and my mantra is to never delete
metadata, but rather to suppress or alter its display, or ignore it upon
transfer.

So, I prefer not to delete copy-specific data in the master record (great
for researchers!), but rather, to ensure that fields with other people's
$5's don't import into my library's catalog. Ryan, I understand how this
approach might become a headache in a consortium environment -- but it's
not impossible, either.

Something in my gut is uncomfortable with deleting data just because we
find it obnoxious to configure our systems. ;-)  I also think that the $5
is a reasonable solution to the "hub and spoke" approach of hanging
copy-specific data off of master records, given the MARC formats.

$0.02,
Allison