[DCRM-L] Deletion of copy-specific fields/data from OCLC master?

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Thu Dec 17 12:23:31 MST 2015

Dear Linde,
Of course we should put all local information on our own catalogs. But to put it all on master records, it seems we’d have to have software allowing us to specify how much will be displayed for a given book. Let’s say I was doing research on Chennai (Madras), India. If a book was just a general history of South India, I could specify that I only want to see “universal” information related to the manifestation. If it was a biography of some important  citizen of Chennai, I might want to it to show me every local note from every library. That might work, but I’m sure patrons would often complain that there was too much junk on records. How do you find the balance between too much information and too little? I think we need to recognize that catalogs are just a small part of the process of doing research. A researcher spends a lot more time looking through books and bibliographies than looking at catalog records.

Another point: that software might make life easier for researchers, but for the reasons Richard gave, it would make life a lot harder for catalogers. You would have to wade through a lot of notes to find the few that were significant.

$.02,
Ted
PS Thanks to the person who came up with “$.02.” I love that. I hope you don’t mind me copying you.