[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) and WorldCat

Joe Springer joeas at goshen.edu
Fri Feb 27 11:13:37 MST 2015

Correct on the main counts.  Note, however, that OCLC has begun storing and
providing access to copy-specific information for libraries using their
WorldShare Management Services.  WMS libraries can add notes and additional
access points as "local bibliographic data." Content in these fields is
*searchable* only within the context of the particular library's "instance"
(fka "library's own catalog").  However for anyone doing a general
worldcat.org search the local bibliographic data of a WMS library does
display *if* one clicks on that particular library's holdings.  That is a
step removed from the display Allison was describing (copy-specific details
displayed alongside the holdings info), but not a very big one.  Perhaps
now that OCLC has begun providing search access to such data within
"catalogs" the idea of access to such data across "catalogs" is not as far
removed as it was when OCLC wasn't in the business of providing more than
rudimentary access to anyone's holdings.

Joe Springer, Curator
Mennonite Historical Library
Goshen College
1700 S Main St