[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) and WorldCat

Fri Feb 27 11:33:37 MST 2015

Also protected are 'bdrb' and 'dcrb'.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Allison Jai O'Dell
Sent: Friday, 27 February 2015 12:53
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] DCRM(B) and WorldCat

Nina is correct about records coded dcrm[x].

As for Jason's second point, this conversation has been going on at least as long as I've been alive<http://www.columbia.edu/~daviss/work/articles/iflajournal_1984.pdf>.  And it keeps coming up, with no good solution.  To my mind, this is the #1 reason rare materials libraries should be considering linked data.

Jason, if I understand your vision correctly, you would like to see copy-specific details displayed alongside the holding info?  Like:
U.Miami has copy  |  U.Miami's copy in a blue cover.
Yale has copy  |  Yale's copy in a yellow cover.  Yale's copy donated by Joe Shmoe.

Or maybe through a bit of personalization?
I see you're near New Haven.  Yale's copy is in a yellow cover, and was donated by Joe Shmoe.

OCLC is not going to store and provide access to copy-specific information.  The solution is for us to expose our copy-specific information.  If we, at our institutions, build open, accessible, interoperable, linked data -- then WorldCat, Google, whoever, can use it.  And then researchers can see it!

Allison