[DCRM-L] EAD date normal for Lady Day dates

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Wed Jul 1 18:29:51 MDT 2015

Off the wall question for DCRM, but I've gone blind trying to hack EAD and ISO 8601 trying to find the answer.

How does one render double-dated (i.e. both Gregorian and Julian dates) or Lady Day dates in a normalized date element?  Or for that matter "or" dates. I'm taking examples from the draft of DCRM(MSS)

<date
normal=" " >1603/1604 March 15</date>

<date normal=" ">1866 or 1867</date>  [Hebrew calendar example]

Etc.?

The easiest solution of course is not to supply a normalized date element and move on, but I did wonder if the answer was out there.

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Catalog Librarian/Archivist
Henry E. Huntington Library
Acquistions Cataloging and Metadata Services
dauyong at huntington.org