[DCRM-L] DCRM & RDA in Edinburgh, Scotland: an invitation for presentation proposals

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 30 10:40:40 MDT 2015

Colleagues,

To coincide with the meeting of the Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (Edinburgh, Scotland), there will be a one-day seminar on rare materials cataloging and RDA, on Friday, November 6, 2015. The seminar is being organized by a group of representatives from RBMS, the JSC, and local institutions.

While still in the planning stages, we anticipate that the seminar will be a mix of presentations and discussion, with between 20 and 50 attendees - potentially with wide European representation. We hope to provide more detailed information on programming and logistics at some point in August.

One of the seminar presentations is certain to be on the progress of the RBMS Task Force on RDA and DCRM. Other possibilities (at this early stage) include reports on similar endeavors from colleagues in Germany and Croatia. A primary goal of the seminar is to enable a better understanding of national standards for rare materials description within communities that have adopted RDA - or intend to do so - with an eye to the possibility of greater international coordination or collaboration.

At this point, we'd like to an extend an invitation for presentation proposals for topics that touch upon the theme described above. Presentations should be about 30 minutes in length. It is possible that documents for each presentation will be collected and published (online?) after the conclusion of the seminar.

If you have a topic that you are keen to present, please get in touch with Nina Schneider (nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu) or Francis Lapka (francis.lapka at yale.edu) as soon as possible. If you are uncertain about the merits of a topic, we'd be more than happy to discuss it with you.

There will be a modest registration fee (about $100) to cover the costs of meals and refreshments. All travel and lodging will need to be booked independently, although we'll probably be able to provide suggestions for accommodations after a planning in meeting in early August.

Thank you,

Nina Schneider and Francis Lapka

Nina M. Schneider
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee

Rare Books Librarian
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018