[DCRM-L] Rare book question

Margaret F. Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 10 15:58:32 MDT 2015

This is a rather ambiguous case, Avrom, but I'll venture in with my two cents and then we can see what others suggest. Since the work consists mainly of printed material from a book, I'd suggest cataloging it as a book with manuscript material in it, with code "a" in the "Type" element. You can describe the manuscript material and the binding in copy-specific notes.

I'm assuming that the printed pages are consecutive. If they're not, and instead there's a page here and a page there from the prayer book, that (to my mind) makes the item something closer to a scrapbook, and a little bit more of a candidate to be cataloged as an archival collection (in the sense of a unique collection consisting of mixed material) that's bound together in a volume. But if you're working mainly in the context of a library (i.e. book collection) and the manuscripts in the book aren't of exceptional importance, you could still make a case for cataloging the volume as a book, since it's mainly print material.

Good luck,

Margaret Nichols

Margaret F. Nichols
Rare Materials Cataloging Coordinator