[DCRM-L] 12mos with missigned third leaves

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Tue Jun 16 14:33:22 MDT 2015

The latter, though it's not terribly irregular, and I think more common in the "provinces" and in the 19th century.  Without looking up the imposition in Gaskell (assuming it's there): When the sheets are cut apart, each half-sheet will further be cut apart to consist of a gathering of four (folded twice) and a gathering of two (folded once).  The 2-leaf gathering will nest inside the 4-leaf gathering.

The 2-leaf gathering is thus the second unit of the whole 6-leaf gathering that constitutes the finished product, and is signed on the first page A2, B2, C2, etc..  All the binder needs to do is look at the first page of the 4-leaf gathering (signed A, B, C, ...) and then nest the related 2-leaf gathering inside it before sewing.  So there's no need to sign every leaf, and A2, B2, C2, ... gets the pieces connected as they should be.

John Lancaster