[DCRM-L] 12mos with missigned third leaves

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Jun 16 14:46:33 MDT 2015

This is the standard ca. 1st half of c19 way of signing the offcut in
formats that have them (12mo and 18mo for the most part). It doesn't mean
"2nd leaf" but "2nd printed signature in this gathering".

The signing statement can most easily read: $1,3 signed; signing $3 as '$2'.

Numerical signatures were usually asterisked: $1,3 signed; signing $3 as
'$*'.

In 12s you may find: $1,2,5 signed; signing $5 as '$3'.

A selection of *exempla* here:

http://josiah.brown.edu/search~S7/X?SEARCH=%28%22signing%203%20as%202%22%29&SORT=D

http://josiah.brown.edu/search~S7/X?SEARCH=%28%22signing%205%20as%203%22%29&SORT=D

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>