[DCRM-L] Pagination for incomplete item

Mon Mar 16 10:05:07 MDT 2015

Hi Honor,

I would do it as you suggest.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Moody, Honor M.
Sent: Friday, 13 March 2015 16:10
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] Pagination for incomplete item

Hello all,

This turns out to be a hypothetical question as I was ultimately able to identify the incomplete item as OCLC #191237427 with the assistance of the always helpful folks at AAS (following a closer look at Lowenstein's American Cookery Books).  However, since I'm not sure what I should have done if I couldn't identify it, I thought I would pose the question to the list anyway.

The pagination of what I have in hand is: unnumbered page 3, 4, unnumbered page 5, 6-26, unnumbered page 27, 28-34, where the unnumbered pages are all the first page of a new section of text: contents on page 3, the beginning of the main text on 5 and the beginning of the appendix on 27.

The pamphlet is in a single gathering, and page 34 ends in the middle of a sentence, with recipe 19 of 28 listed in the contents, so it was definitely missing at least 1 pair of conjugate leaves (as I suspected, it was missing only 1, with the title page on the unnumbered page 1).

A colleague suggested that the pagination could be recorded as [2+], [1], 4-34+ p., but also suggested that others might do it differently. If you were to do it differently, how would you do it, and why?

Best,
Honor

Honor Moody
Cataloger