[DCRM-L] Discontinuation of OCLC's institutional records program

Allison Rich allison_rich at brown.edu
Wed Mar 25 06:45:37 MDT 2015

Hello list:

This is not welcome news for us either.
We have been using IRs from the very beginning after RLIN died.
I always saw IR's as a concession to RLIN libraries and the "cluster
system".

I printed out the LBD information to look at later when I, like Robert,
can read it more carefully.
If there is a group letter or form of protest going around to OCLC, then
the JCB would very much like to be part of that.
People who use special collections are very interested in seeing other
data from local collections at other institutions.
This strikes me as very short sighted and a load of other words I really
should not add here.

I would also like to know when and how this was decided without getting
input from institutions which use the IRs.
It seems like this was a backroom decision.
Not good at all.

~Allison

--

********************************